Nationally renowned poet William H. Heyen meets with Just Poets to show his collection of rare books and discuss Walt Whitman.
The setting is the William & Hannelore Heyen Collection, on display in the Hyam Plutzik Library for Contemporary Writing in the Rare Books and Special Collections wing of Rush Rhees Library at the University of Rochester.
DIRECTIONS to Rush Rhees Library (out-of-town members can click on Google map below and enter own address for driving directions):
From Monroe Avenue:
- Take Elmwood Ave, cross South, cross Mt. Hope Ave, continue with Strong Hospital on left, cemetery on right side…
- Stay right and pass under bridge
- Take first RIGHT on Wilson Blvd
- Take quick RIGHT on Trustee Road
- Turn LEFT on Intercampus Drive
- Pass Library Road, then turn LEFT into the Library Lot entrance
Here’s a Google map centered on the UR campus and the Rush Rhees Library Lot.
FINDING Special Collections
Come into the back entrance doors, ground level of Rush Rhees library (by computer store). Our host, rare books librarian Phyllis Andrews, will be waiting at the ground level elevators to take you up to the rare books collection on the second floor.